Friday, October 5, 2012

WYD & Cowboys

I was putting together the "highlights" version of the youth ministry calendar for the next year to distribute at family night this Sunday. As I worked through the summer months, I dropped in our service trips, but paused over July. A sigh escaped.

After going to the past five World Youth Days, this year will be the first one since 2000 that I have missed. As an event that changed my life (hello ministry, good-bye law school) it holds a special place for me.

Plus, I must admit, the kid in me still remembers the paper I wrote for a social studies class some time in elementary or middle school on the country of Brazil. I became utterly enamored with the country when I discovered that they had cowboys. (As has been previously discussed, I was not a normal little girl.) The idea that other countries had cowboys and a wild west type life was so appealing to me.

If you are going to WYD, I must admit, I wish I was going with you. I will be keeping all of the pilgrims in my prayers. Pack your Bibles, comfortable shoes, water bottles, and duct tape. The rest you can improvise.

If you happen to have room in your luggage, I wouldn't mind stowing away!

No comments: