Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Happy Halloween

I get why some Christians are against Halloween. I get why some are against Harry Potter. I understand what they're thinking.  I may not agree with it, but I get it.

I, on the other hand, love Halloween. By middle school I was making my costumes. There was one year where I was a particularly charming Queen of Hearts. Of course when my Girl Scout troop when to the haunted house that was under the Milwaukee Zoo I lost half of my fabulous, bright red fake nails (sorry to my fellow scout who had me gripping her shoulders and arms!). Since I don't have any kids, I'm going to commandeer some of my friends kids next year and make costumes for them and take them trick or treating.

There is something about the creativity that can go into Halloween. My years in high school drama where I helped design and make costumes and sets come out to play again. Maybe next year I can be River Song (yes, I'm a Whovian). Or I'll take a page from the teens who say that I'm a cross between Professor McGonagall and Tonks. Given my age, I'd probably pick Tonks.

Creativity is something we should celebrate. I think that when we have our creative moments, we are truly acting in the image of God. Our ability to produce music, art, mechanical contraptions, and all those other things we dream up and then somehow make a reality mimic the creative action of God.

So use your creativity, celebrate the festivities, but just make sure your sugar high doesn't keep you from tomorrow's holy day - All Saints!

No comments: