Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Planning for Post-WYD

Here's something - what's your plan for the first few days to two weeks after WYD?

I have been to 4 WYDs. I have come home sick from each. Ranging from a head cold to the condition I fondly referred to as the deadly, oozing plague of death, each WYD holds a special set of germs just for me.

Now that I know to anticipate the aftereffects of low levels of sleep, high levels of chaos (read stress), huge crowds with their variety of germs, and the reality of not always having the cleanest hands when you sit down to eat your picnic lunch/dinner.

First off, there's the preparations for the trip. First: hydrate. In general, hydration is good no matter what. Second, I pack antibacterial hand wipes and hand sanitizer gel. The wipes get rid of the dirt and will sanitize while you can use the gel if your hands are free of dirt. Third, I pack a few cold and allergy remedies. After once causing my high school English teacher to fear she would have to find the hospital nearest to Heathrow as my sinus headache turned into a near explosion during landing, I now make sure to have sinus medications for myself and the group if needed. I pack some Day-Quill like cold remedy, non-drowsy allergy medicine, and Pepto Bismal. These will general do well for a stop gap measure until you get home.

Second, there's the post trip planning. I know that the phrase "Death Warmed Over" is a generous description for my state of being for the first 48 hours after returning home. I tend to be somewhere closer to "Death Warmed Over twice in the microwave and then left on the counter for two days" state of being. Thus, I plan accordingly.

I make sure that all big projects, small projects, routine tasks, anything at all that might be due in the first two work weeks after I return is completed. Yes, this is a huge headache, but then if I do get horribly ill, I don't have to think about the bulletin articles, email newsletters, or website updates I need to do. I know they are done, pre-scheduled, or delegated out to others. I cannot recommend this highly enough. And should the Heavens smile on you and you maintain perfect health and bounce back from the chaos and jet lag after just a day or two, you are a head of the game and can spend all that extra time telling people how fantastic WYD is.

No comments: