Friday, July 29, 2011

Peace, Joy, Chaos

It is probably a toss up whether Matthew 11.28-30 or Hebrews 11.1 wins the favorite scripture verse for me. Usually depends on my mood.


However, in the lens of my normal state of being and, in particular, WYD, Matthew 11.28-30 wins today.


"Come to me all who labor and are burdened, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you and learn from me, for I am meek and humble of heart; and you will find rest for yourselves. For my yoke is easy, and my burden light."


We stand in a tumultuous time - tragedies of great and small proportions daily make the news; financial woes haunt countries and individuals; fear of others and violence simultaneously immobilize some while leading others to those very acts of violence.


The need for the gentle burden, the rest, that Jesus offers is so very necessary. One translation states: "you will find rest for your souls." That is a rest that goes far beyond a good night's sleep (something that is getting more difficult as the countdown to WYD proceeds).


What I look forward to at WYD is the opportunity to feel this promise. No where and at no time, will I be more physically exhausted than the week spent in Madrid. I know that the heat and sun will drain and dry me physically and strain my mental patience and processes. However, I also know that there are other, far more powerful forces at play than the sun, heat, and wind.


I will never forget the nearly tangible feel of Tor Vergata (Rome WYD in 2000). You could practically feel the communal joy, energy, and hope of the young people in that field. You could also, almost touch the Holy Spirit. Despite frogs, heat, dehydration, exhaustion, and a new found distaste for that Italian version of Spam, it was one of the most wonderful experiences. There, in that packed, frog infested field, I found rest. God showed me that being peaceful has nothing to do with your surroundings, that being given a great mission does not mean an equally great burden.


This is one of the many reason why I go through the exhaustion, chaos, fears, and doubts to lead a group to WYD. Maybe, just maybe, the individuals in my group will experience a similar moment. Maybe, just maybe, they will be given the grace they need to face the particular challenges they will return home to face. Maybe, just maybe, they too will find rest for their souls.

No comments: