Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Easy Doesn't Mean Good

One of the great truths in food applies to ministry, just because it's easy doesn't mean it's good.  Now, there are exceptions.  As PB-Banana sandwiches and mac & cheese demonstrate.  However, Thanksgiving turkey, lasagna, homemade English toffee (still trying to get that recipe off my friend), and making schaumtorte that doesn't fall all attest to the fact that sometimes the really good things take a lot of work.

The past two days have flown by in the office.  There's plenty of work to keep me busy.  In addition, I'm creating more work as I want to apply things from NCCYM to the ministries here.  The January retreat is receiving the most significant overhaul.  We're starting from scratch, relying heavily on the adult leadership team, and incorporating first time volunteers (praise God for a new musician in our ministry!).  At least today I finally pulled our hook for the retreat and it was all due to the subliminal message of the music I was listening to some music while working on updating our YA website.  Amazing what the soundtracks to the Narnia movies will inspire.  Well, not all that amazing - we're going to use the Narnia movies as the arch for the retreat.    The up-coming meeting with the adult leadership team will approve or nix that idea, but the email response seems fairly positive.

As much as I agree, "All I want for Christmas is a weekend off," I am willing to let go of the easy in order to serve the Good.

No comments: