Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Count Your Blessings

As part of my relaxing Thanksgiving weekend (Thursday through Saturday), I was able to see the musical, White Christmas.  One of my favorite songs from both the film and the stage musical is "Count Your Blessings."  Particularly during the difficult economic time and hectic pre-Christmas chaos, this song is a reminder of what is truly important.

When I found myself a bit under the weather, mostly congested, at youth group on Sunday I was ready to fold up and call it a day before the kids even showed.  The first one there, our resident class clown spent the first half hour (he was there 45 minutes early) alternately sharing thoughts on music (he's a gifted musician) and mocking me.  Not surprising.  We had a wonderful Advent prayer service with reflection and a quiet activity.  An entirely entertaining game of Apples to Apples followed.  A simple closing prayer that is also creating our Christmas decorations wrapped up the night.

The youth group was a bit hodge-podge and I was definitely not at my best, but the kids rose to the occasion.  Their humor was just pointed enough when making fun of me to remind me they are awfully close to being grown up, yet well intentioned so they never crossed any lines.  They truly quieted themselves as we prayed and reflected.  For over 10 minutes we had near silence as they did the activity (a minor miracle for the Sunday after Thanksgiving).  They were all good natured during the game and it was a testimony to the community that has been built among these incredibly diverse youth and adult leaders.

I count myself blessed in my ministry.  There are days I do just want to go home and sleep long before whatever activity is planned even begins.  But most days, when I do eventually find my way home I enjoy the silence of my place and think, "Today was a good day."

Not that I am the most regular blogger on the web, but I will likely be away from the blog for a week.  I am off to the NCCYM and NCYAMA conferences.  If I am able to find wi-fi I will post some thoughts.  Otherwise I will have to digest 5 days of overload and put somethings here for you.

There shall be no harm or ruin on all my holy mountain;
for the earth shall be filled with knowledge of the LORD,
as water covers the sea.

On that day,
The root of Jesse,
set up as a signal for the nations,
The Gentiles shall seek out,
for his dwelling shall be glorious.
~Isaiah 11.9-10
from today's Mass readings

No comments: