Sunday, December 7, 2008

Back in the Saddle

I'm back.  It is amazing how exciting it is to return to the office after the NCCYM conference.  I had my bag full of stuff to haul in.  There are the posters to put up on the youth room walls.  
I have CDs to add to our collection.  There are the massive quantities of flyers, brochures, business cards and such in a box now in my office.  Those will be sorted later in the week once I'm fully caught up.

For now it is applying the excitement and rejuvenation that the conference always seems to bring.  I'm already tweaking tonight's youth group.  I got some fantastic Our Lady of Guadalupe prayer cards we'll be using (including the Spanish version - good practice for our Honduras service trip later this summer).  Then there's the tweaking of next week's youth group.  And the retreat in January.

One of the things I really want to do a better job with, simple though it may be, is the music.  We have some kids whose musical intelligence is probably their dominant intelligence.  I want to better utilize music in the youth group.  Due to a variety of factors, not the least of which is space, we don't have live music.  However, we have a decent CD collection and now I plan to make use of MyCatholicVoice.com to find new music.  Have any songs to recommend?  I'm likely going to be listening to the couple of CDs I bought at the conference tomorrow as I deal with all the laundry and household chores.

It will take me a while to unpack this conference (mentally and physically - my suitcase will probably stay open on the futon in the den until I pack for my Christmas trip).  I look forward to tomorrow - the chance to relax, do laundry, catch one of my favorite Masses (ummm...Holy Day people...), and go through my notes (20 pages and tons of Post-Its).

No comments: