Sunday, April 6, 2008

Typical

Sometimes I am astounded by what I consider typical.  Typical meals, typical schedules, typical behavior, typical trip planning...

I'm usually caught up in something 'typical' when someone comes in, comments, and then leaves saying something akin to: "You have such an unusual job."  That, in and of itself, has now become typical.  This week is much a typical week for me, both the past and coming weeks actually.

This past week I had The Big World Youth Day (WYD) meeting on Thursday.  Of course Tuesday was the young adult group and Wednesday was the youth Bible study.  After 2 1/2 hours where everyone, including the intrepid leader, was a bit overwhelmed the WYD meeting wrapped up.  The quantity of information and paperwork that had to be handled was a bit overwhelming.  All told, I handed out about 3 inches of handouts to the 23 people going.  As three did not attend, I still have more meetings to look forward to in the coming weeks.

In between the regular and irregular meetings, I have the project that I am very excited about.  We're restructuring, redesigning, and generally completely revitalizing our high school youth ministry web site.  In addition we are looking to put up podcasts.  As our pastor is over 60 now and never much of a computer person, I am amused when I get on a roll about the changes.  He is very supportive, but the language is completely foreign to him and so while he checks that progress is being made, there's a level of disconnect.

I find that disconnect one of the most challenging aspects of youth ministry.  The generational difficulties take on a new dimension when you factor in technology, culture, and social changes.  Though just over ten years older than most of my students, the world I grew up in is quite different from the youth today.  The generations that came of age in the 50's, 60's, 70's, even 80's must stretch far beyond their understanding of adolescence to embrace the existence today's youth face.

So I return to my typical day - morning Mass, quick lunch, some office time, some coffee shop time, and then glow in the dark putt-putt golf with the high schoolers who are all on spring break.  Typical.  And no other way I would like it.

4 comments:

David said...

The generation-strain you describe is something happening in all manner of organizations, whether they be churches, governments, or social organizations. I think that emerging leaders and managers need to focus on core values and results, and undertake the difficult task of asking the older generations to do the same. I think it's also important to get members of different generations in the same place and help them to see the similarities of their needs and responsibilities.
Is your ministry website currently available?

-ERD

Jenn said...

ERD - if you would like more specific informaiton, email me at YMJungle-at-gmail.

David said...

Jenn,
I happened upon this article by way of a lisetserv today. I thought it might be of equal interest to ministry as it is to politics.

Jenn said...

ERD,
I actually read that article. As a political science degree holder (Go Badgers!), I closely follow the political arena. I too thought it resonated with ministry. I see the phenomenon especially among the high school youth and college students. I posted an event to Facebook and before I could even put it on our website, I had kids instant messaging me or calling me about it.

Thanks for the tip, though. I appreciate it as it is something right up my alley.

-Jenn