Friday, September 21, 2012

Confession of a Life-Long Nerd

When I was a kid, I wrote to NASA as part of an effort to earn a badge in Girl Scouts. I have no idea any longer what the badge was, however, in response I got the most incredible thing in the world. (Here it is, a total nerd moment) They sent me a huge 3" binder full of information and activities. It was for teachers, but my precocious self was in seventh heaven. Add to that the 6' poster of the space suit with diagrams and detailed information and I was ready to faint from happiness. Until it dawned on me they wouldn't want someone without perfect vision to fly the space shuttle, that was my dream job.

Thus it should not be a surprise that I carefully follow NASA and the space exploration of other countries. With the Mars exploration that has been going on for many years, I am always awed by the questions that arise, the truly other-worldly photos, and the perspective offered. It reminds me to view the world through the awe-filled, open-minded view of a child. Even the oldest of the old here on Earth offers but a blink of the Universe's life. We are all children compared to the stars, planets, and chilly light of the Universe that we float through.

When I was reading a post about some mystery spheres on Mars, I realized that wonder I feel when I look to the stars does not necessarily permeate all the other areas of my life. Do I approach the wonders of God and his plan with such awe and inspiration? Do I look to the world around me and see the good and beautiful and accordingly offer my heartfelt response of awe? Do I see the complex, wonderful, creatures that are my fellow human beings and offer up thanks and awe for their beauty and wonder?

It is so easy these days for us, and those we minister to and with, to become immersed in the worries, trials and tribulations. We can do so to such a degree that we fail to see the awesome creation around us. We fail to see the beauty due to the desolation. I am not saying we should ignore those flaws and failings around us. Rather we should acknowledge the good, the wonderful, the awesome and help those to grow so as to overtake the dark, the pain, and the failings.

Do you respond in awe? Do you help those in your ministry to do so?

No comments: