Friday, February 3, 2012

Great Little Tool

Confession: I own two Kindles.  In my own defense they were both gifts from my parents.  I am an avid reader - I have two book cases that are filled (completely wedged in every space are books), one more decorative one with special editions (heirlooms from my grandparents) and favorite books, then there are the inevitable stacks on my night stand, coffee table and end tables.  I also have a well used library card.

A few years ago my parents gave me the second generation Kindle.  I thought it would be nice for traveling if nothing else.  I love it.  It has been around the world several times.  It hangs out on my night stand so that I can read before I go to sleep.  It slips into my purse for days when I may find myself waiting somewhere.

This past birthday, I received the Kindle Fire.  While the iPad has many bells and whistles, for what I wanted, the Kindle Fire is genius.  I've got my books, web access, email, a ton of apps (including weather, Words with Friends, etc.).

The Kindle Fire was a huge help on our service trip so I could track weather on our cross country winter drive.  I could email updates to families of our teens.  I could email when I have various problems.  I could look up maps to locations and the times that restaurants were open.

The other great thing - you can get books from your library on Kindles now.  Huge bonus here!  As a youth minister I find myself trying to read a ton of things from psychology books to the latest YA novel.  With the library loan system, at least at my district library, you get two weeks with the book.

Also, you can email documents to your Kindle.  I just did that with a huge pdf file that would be over 100 pages.  As it is a great, colorful document too, I can appreciate all those great colors and layouts on the Fire.

You can also highlight, take notes, and leave bookmarks.

I find these great tools to help me stay on top of things in the ministry world and in the various tangentially related fields.

No comments: