Thursday, February 16, 2012

Frustrations

I would guess I am not the only one to face this problem.  Our young adult group meets on Tuesdays.  It has done so for longer than my tenure here at the parish.  It has met on Tuesdays for well over 10 years.  During particular liturgical seasons our parish offers small groups.  When is the young adult small group being offered?  Tuesdays at 7 pm.  Arghhhh!

First this is a great moment to remind me of a few things.  It makes me remember that I need to always keep conversations rolling between all of my coworkers.  None of us are islands in ministry.  It also reminds me that I need to keep advocating for our young adult ministry to be respected as an estabished and crucial aspect of our parish life.

Second, it is offering me a chance to think outside of the box.  I may need to bow to the fact that the small groups are already beginning registration and may not be able to be rescheduled.  If this is true, then I will move our young adult group during the Lenten season.  Likely I will need to change my day off to another day or shift several meetings to an alternate depending on which day we choose.  I also have the chance to look at some resources.  Particularly if we shift the day to Mondays, my normal day off, I want an option that will not require me to completely create the night's discussion and content which the current calendar has me doing.

Have you ever had this problem or something similar?  How did you handle it?

Do you have any great Lenten resources you enjoy using?  If not, why not look at Young Adult Ministry in a Box?  They have a whole series of options for you!

No comments: