Saturday, January 21, 2012

More Recent Musings

I have fallen terribly behind on my magazines. I just read one from July/August. I finally got to the November/December Youth Worker Journal and encountered the article "From Bondage to Freedom: A Journey Toward True Discipleship in Youth Ministry."

This article was very striking for me. It hit both on the personal and professional fronts.

As a certifiable type-A, having a list like the one in the article for what a "successful disciple" is, is inherently something I want to embrace. I want to be able to put the list in my little book or on my Toodledo account and know that I did my 'disciple thing' for the day. Oh boy, that is so not the way to live as a Christian. I know that, but some days I just don't know it. You know what I mean?

Then there's the youth ministry. I do have many people looking for the youth ministry 'product.' How many at that event? How many on the service trip? What events do you have? Numbers and action plans dictate much. And those are necessary, but they are not the be all and end all. It is so easy and so tempting to believe that if we do have the right numbers and complete the annual action plans we are doing 'good ministry' and making 'successful disciples.'

Now, it is entirely possible that we are if we do those things. But Clark's points about the freedom offered to live in the grace and love of God being the source of our relationship with God and not the legalistic check list is so crucial.

Over the next six months I am working with the teens, adult leaders, and parents to evaluate where the youth ministry is and where it should be going. I want to look at the how and why, not just what and how many. This article on true discipleship is now one of our readings. I really want to examine the concepts of evangelization and discipleship in our ministries.

What sort of disciples are you forming?

Perhaps more importantly, what sort of disciple are you? For people will follow your life more than your words.

No comments: