Sunday, January 17, 2010

Haitian Sunday

Today is the first Sunday following the devastating earthquake in Haiti. All the U.S. Catholic Churches are being asked to take a second donation this weekend to send to CRS' efforts in Haiti.

As I go through a fairly quiet day (so far) here at the church, I am constantly drawn in thought and prayer to those in Haiti.

I wonder, think about going to Mass tonight, what it is like to hear Mass in the midst of rubble. To attend Mass without your loved ones, in a state of uncertainty and fear.

I looked at the faces of the high school RCIA kids and wondered about the faces of adolescents plastered on news sites showing injuries, or mere corpses.

I rework tonight's youth group in view of several factors, Haiti, final exams, and the untimely death of an 8th grader in our parish.

Today is a day where it is with a heavy heart that I enter into my work. Today is a day where it is on trust and hope that I find the ability to do that which is necessary.

No comments: