Monday, August 20, 2012

Keeping It Alive

I'm at the start of my tenth year in youth & young adult ministry. Besides making me realize that I'm getting older (despite still feeling about 10 at times), it is a point where I am reminded that I need to make sure things are kept fresh, relevant, and alive in the ministries.

Ruts are easy to get caught in, personally and professionally.

Since the start of August I am pushing myself out of ruts and into new habits and new adventures. I'm developing new habits and life choices personally that are giving me new hobbies, new ways to connect with others outside of work, and a more joyful state of being.

Professionally I am cleaning the cobwebs. Literally and figuratively. I spent last Wednesday after the conclusion of the 7 am Mass cleaning the youth room. Piles of garbage and recyclables went out the door. Everything was reorganized and cleaned. All I need are a few more plastic tubs for storage and we're set in that regard.  I do want to find some new art for the walls though.

We, the respective leadership teams and I, are also addressing where the various ministries are at and where they should be going.  The youth have jumped on board with great enthusiasm and immense creativity. Using ideas from Positively Dangerous (highly recommend this if you aren't already familiar with it), we're re-imagining every youth ministry activity.

The young adult ministry is repackaging itself. We're ditching the old name which was confusing. We're restructuring our activities. New resources gleaned from Young Adult Ministry in a Box are being applied. Ideas from other adult ministries like RCIA, the adult faith formation program, and small group ministries are being examined and tied into our plans.

The excitement is high among all the leaders and me. I know there will be plenty of frustrations, but hopefully with grace and prayer, things will be blessed.

No comments: