Sunday, June 10, 2012

Giving Thanks

Today is the Solemnity of the Most Holy Body & Blood of Christ.

Two words stand out today from our Gospel - "giving thanks."

It wasn't a feast. It wasn't the winning touchdown of a Super Bowl. It was a simple meal with bread and wine. It was a small group of friends with their teacher. It was God showing us the way.

Give thanks.

With the economy causing many to worry and fear, with new technology to envy, with a culture of entitlement thankfulness is far from the ordinary.

Being just a week away from the first service trip, I am inundated with the administrative tasks combined with the struggle to get my personal life in order for the summer chaos (let me tell you how much cleaning, laundry, etc has to get done this week!). My mind runs through constant to-do lists and packing lists. The present moment, the blessings that are now, escape my notice.

With today's Gospel, I am reminded to sit still. See the blessings. Offer thanks.

If I cannot do this, how can I help others to do so?

No comments: