Thursday, March 1, 2012

My Next 10 Years

Today was my annual review and finding out whether the teens will have to put up with me for yet another year.  Alas all you teens here who cast disparaging looks at the Bucky Badger pillows, you shall have to submit to their gaze for at least one more year. 

Since my pastor is very good at giving you feed back, these annual reviews are not surprising in their content.  However, I am an Olympic-class worrier, so I still get nervous.  In our conversation it came up that this is my 9th year here and thus, the letter I signed for next year, states that I will have a 10th at the parish.

What do I want the next 10 years to look like?  The first year I spent trying to figure things out and keep my head above water.  The second year I was able to institute a few changes and begin making things fit a bit more of my way of doing things than my predecessor.  From there on, I've had a free hand to try things, sustain things, and even at times, end things.

Again, what do I want to do with the next 10 years?  What are the priorities for the ministries? What needs to be changed? What do we want changed?  What needs to be kept the same? What do we want to keep the same? Where are the new ideas? How can we incorporate them? There are a multitude of questions to ask and I cannot wait to enter into a discerning discussion with the youth, young adults, and middle singles.

All with Bucky Badger looking on from his perch on the pillow in the youth room.

No comments: