Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Plans

"The best-laid schemes o' mice an' men gang aft agley."

~Robert Burns, "To a Mouse"


That, in a short and oh so Scottish way, sums up my week. All those little things and routines have fallen apart at the seams.


Without going into overwhelming detail about my less than relaxing day off on Monday, we'll just say it set things up well for what was waiting for me here in the office yesterday.


For the past few years I have taken a small group of teens down to New Orleans during winter break. We work with Catholic Charities - Helping Hands. I was notified via a voicemail yesterday that the organization would be shutting down, so our trip was canceled.


Thus I have spent all the spare moments of my day tracking down alternatives for lodgings and work sites. I have encountered many kind individuals, but unfortunately none have been able to help me out with this problem.


So like many moments in ministry, we soldier on looking for how to "Make it work!" as Tim Gunn says.


On the bright side, later tonight I get to go to a screening of The Way where Martin Sheen and Emilio Estevez are to be present for a question & answer session following.

No comments: