Wednesday, July 22, 2009

Early Morning

There is nothing quite as charming (at least for a singleton without children) to waking up to a dog that is throwing up. Particularly when it is 5:15 am and you were hoping to stay in bed for another two hours. Once the mess was cleaned up, I admitted defeat and decided to just stay awake. I was already a bit cranky, again.

I donned my favorite hat (it is a bit chilly in the mornings), hauled on my fleece, and trudged outside. The little dog, Gracie, did her duties and I trudged back in. I fed her and began making coffee. Still a bit disgruntled, but figured good coffee (chocolate cherry grounds from Traverse City in my french press) would help to an extent.

Coffee in hand, I went to find my Bible (also known as a blunt force weapon in some counties - the Catholic Study Bible is no compact tome). Then it was remembering where I stuck my journal after unpacking it from my weekend. With those missions accomplished I looked up the readings - the feast of Mary Magdalene. Ah, now that is something to ponder. I sipped my coffee and read from Exodus, Psalms, and John. The care of God, even when he is least appreciated, followed by the call to share story, and the proclamation of Mary Magdalene "I have seen the Lord!" Now that was a morning of reading!

Recently I have been struggling to just tread water. The seas are rough and things are buffeting me from all sides - personally and professionally. I have also let my time with God be truncated or reduced in quality of late. Today reminded me that no matter how little I appreciate him or how oblivious I am to his actions, God is active in my life. Even when the horrible things happen. Today reminded me that one of my favorite things, story, is a fundamental aspect of life and ministry. The Gospel today echoed the moments when I could say with every confidence that God was present then and there.

So maybe, Gracie throwing up was just what my spirit needed today? In ministry and life, the unexpected, even the unpleasant, can become a most powerful moment.

No comments: