Monday, February 9, 2009

When Evaluations Meet Magic 8 Balls

It is that time in our parish.  We are looking to the past and presence to evaluate all aspects of our parish in anticipation of a new pastoral plan.  Yesterday we spent a few hours hashing through the youth ministry.  Depending on how much sleep I have in my system, I either love or hate meetings like the one yesterday.

It was wonderful to gather teens, adult volunteers, and parents to look at the ministry.  They were affirming, yet honest in their ideas and criticisms.  The two main areas that we need to really develop more are the bridge between 8th and 9th grade and parent communication/involvement.  There were subsets of these discussions such as how busy the kids are, that parents are exhausted from being Mom & Pop's Taxi Service, transportation issues overall, and use of email/websites.  

I hate these sorts of meetings insofar as they lead to the realization of all the work that there is to do.  Some of the things to look at:
  • Developing a parent newsletter to go out weekly via email (this year).
  • Working on helping parents arrange carpools (likely shoot for next year).
  • Email parents directly to see if they would like their children called by a teen with a personal invitation to a particular event or youth ministry in general (next year).
  • Linking each leadership teen with a few new teens in a mentoring set up (next year).
  • Looking at the possibility of an informal discussion group meeting at a coffee shop along the bus lines immediately after school between class and after school sports (next year).
These are the ones I remember off the top of my head, we've got pages of notes and more specific brainstorming to work on over the spring and summer.  I'm excited. A little wary of all that is going to land on my plate, but terribly excited at the energy of all the parents, teens, and volunteers.

On a side note, I just have to share.  I got a dog on Saturday from a local rescue.  Today she woke me up at 4:30 am.  Loved that.  However, now she is quietly laying on the floor as I work.  I feel guilty for having to put her in her crate in a couple of hours when I go into work for the afternoon and evening, but until I know she's totally housebroken she spends the night in there and the time I'm at work.  Without further ado, meet Gracie.

No comments: