Sunday, January 18, 2009

When Economics Meet Ministry

Not too surprisingly, budgets and economics are on the forefront of my mind.  It is the annual budgeting process for the parish.   Last week I met with our pastor and business manager with my proposed budget.  While, as it stands, my budget just has modest cuts in areas I can work with a reduced amount, there is the sword of Damocles hanging over my head.  Depending on how the rest of the budget meetings go, particularly the larger departments such as religious education and the school, I may face a significant cut in my programming budget line.

I know that I am not alone in this.  Some of my peers in the area, particularly where economics are worse than the national average, have a budget freeze.  I will still be able to operate, but it will be rethinking, retooling, and reducing what it means to minister to and with the youth and young adults in the parish.

While I am busy planning our retreat (Jan. 31-Feb. 1), I am already beginning the process of determining how to function with the worst case scenarios.  Perhaps that is a bit doomsday-ish of me, but I also believe it will help me to see where there are places for creative changes.  

Ultimately, that is what this economy is calling for from all who are in ministry - creativity.  We need to meet the current ministry needs of our people in addition to the growing need for those in crisis financially.  Changing long-standing programs and creating new methodology to reach those in our flocks is now, more than ever, a must.  

I am changing youth ministry programs and young adult ministries.  I'm working with our Director of Social Ministries to look at how we can help those dealing with financial difficulties in creative ways.  Given my love of blogs, that was my suggestion.  We'll be developing a blog with suggestions on how people can be financially responsible in areas like food, housing, transportation, personal care, entertainment, and communication.  These are not earth shattering suggestions - but even sharing the recipes of some of the Church-Generals, those women who lived through the Depression and now cook for all the funeral luncheons.  They have dozens of inexpensive, hearty meals they could share the recipes for to those interested.

As we continue down this uncertain and troubled road, I see a call for those in ministry to offer the comfort of faith and the pastoral help of dealing with the worldly problems.  Not an easy task, but ministry was never said to be easy (Mark 10.35-45).

No comments: